Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gospel Learning and Teaching - David M. McConkie

Our calling is all about this talk.  It is right there for any teacher in our family to read, research and live by the advice given in this great presentation.  We are all teachers throughout our lives and therefore the principles discussed here or those alluded to by the references can raise the effectiveness of all teaching, beginning in our homes.  The four points:
First, immerse yourself in the scriptures.  Since our mission began here we have read on a program on a daily basis.  What a difference it makes in inviting and feeling the spirit in all we do.  It has been a matter of gradual improvement for me as the principles are applied more consistently.  There is always time for this in every life when committed to do it.
Second, apply in your life the things that you learn.  There are always some things that need improvement. We talk about them and make changes.  Personally, the habit of writing in my journal daily and daily scripture study have been at the top of great changes in my life.
Third, seek heaven's help.  Prayers are part of every day here in Brasil.  The part that we are working on involves taking time and "listening" or "feeling" the responses as the spirit guides our planning and when thinking about the people we are serving.
Fourth, brothers and sisters, it is of utmost importance that we exercise our agency and act, without delay, in accordance with the spiritual promptings we receive.   The "act" part of this is always a challenge.  If we are inspired to do something, interuptions, other priorities and just procrastination seem to work against this advice.  We are working together here to do better at carrying out our plans in spite of the detours that fall in our path.
We will be using this talk often in our In-service classes.

1 comment:

  1. I have done as Brother McConkie has talked about and followed up more closely on promptings that came at me either to do with our responsibility to our teachers and youth here in Brasil or promptings or warnings that came to me in regards to my children and their families back in the States. I feel more at peace when I don't let those promptings go by unacted upon. I realize, fullwell, that because I ask for the Spirit to be with me and with my family I must not second guess the prompting of the Holy Spirit that come to me

    ReplyDelete