Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cleansing the Inner Vessel - Boyd K. Packer

  Perhaps we see here in Ipatinga how absolute is Elder Packer's comment; "... a time when there is such confusion and such danger that our young people hardly know which way they can walk."  It is searingly hot here in the summer afternoons right now.  Humidity unknown in Arizona is here every day.  The people here dress accordingly.  Even the grown men, many of them are seen in public with no shirts.  The girls and some women wear spaghetti straps or no straps at all on their tops and the cloth shirt stops well above the navel.  The shorts or pants often appear sprayed on commencing below the navel.  Often this exposure reveals part of the tattoo.  Dress seems to be an invitation or an admission of erroneous and often deadly choice, not just to stay comfortable.
  Elder Packer quotes the "old saying" "The Lord is voting for me, and Lucifer is voting against me, but it is my vote that counts."  I have not a memory of this "old saying" and neither has Shirlyn so we felt much younger when we heard it.  It is true however.  We only have one real enemy in this life and we must use our vote strongly and often against him.
  We have heard however, the old saw "The devil made me do it."  "NOT SO!" We must not ever use that excuse for inappropriate choices.  We have the key to slow down and make informed and correct choices.
  He once again draws the clear line for us between the great blessings of correct use of the powers of procreation and the certain consequences of sinful behavior.  Where there is a problem in a life here, this talk bears reading again.
  I love the story he told about the kitten in the classroom.  "Is it a boy kitty or a girl kitty?"  "How can you tell?"  "You can vote on it!"  (Read this again in FHE.)  We see today the blatant "voting" to "... alter the designs of God's laws and nature.  A law against nature would be impossible to enforce.  For instance, what good would a vote against the law of gravity do?"
  And then; "Every soul confined in a prison of sin, guilt, or perversion has a key to the gate.  ... repentance. ...If you know how to use this key, the adversary cannot hold you."
  And his promise; "I promise that ahead of you is peace and happiness for you and your family.  The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is that a man and his wife and their children can be happy at home."

1 comment:

  1. I liked the quote "The Lord is voting for me, and Lucifer is voting against me, but it is my vote that counts." I know that I have the power to out vote Lucifer in my life and that gives me great comfort.

    ReplyDelete