Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Divine Gift of Gratitude - Thomas S. Monson

  "Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all the others." (Cicero)  Now you won't find this quotation in President Monson's talk, but if you are taking the time to read the conference talks you are also given the references which are often very informative in and of themselves.  There are several in this discourse that indicate the kind of books that the Prophet reads or is given.  Check out #12 from which his quote was taken.  It is from a very recent collection of quotations Change Your Life by Allen Klein and from which the quotation above was taken.  What a great resource for all of us who speak, teach or inspire.  
  Today in our sacrament meeting, Gabriel, a 17 year old here gave a talk.  It was based on this very conference talk which I had just read this morning.  A blessing because I was able to discuss the scripture reference in Luke afterward with him.  I was then able to express my gratitude that the inspiration to use this talk in his very mature presentation was a blessing to me.
   As I pondered the Luke 17 story of the 10 Lepers, I could see that the percentages here in Ipatinga are about the same as the activity in the church here.  About one in ten members attend church in spite of the great work that has been done by the Lord sending all those past missionaries here to give them the gift of the Gospel and of the Holy Ghost.  In this case, how will the Lord know that they are "grateful?"
  We are warned here that "the loss of loved ones almost inevitably brings some regrets to our hearts.  Let's minimize such feelings as much as humanly possible by frequently expressing our love and gratitude to them.  We never know how soon it will be too late."  
  Once again it will take effort on our part to reach the level he has taught; "... at least until we have truly learned and cultivated an attitude of gratitude."  Intentions don't work here as he quotes "feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." (see reference #12)
  I am grateful for this Blog which has really been a help in keeping my commitment to read all the talks this year.  I am grateful for my family members, every one of you.  I thank those of you who have commented on this effort, especially Shirlyn who hasn't missed a one.  

1 comment:

  1. I loved this talk. As President Monson spoke I thought of my parents how they worked so hard to help us, as their children, learn to express our love and gratitute freely and to always give credit where credit is due! It's so easy to take those we love the most for granted. But if we want to live without a lot of regrets we need to express our love and gratitute on a daily basis. Giving someone a sincere and loving expression of love and gratitute is a gift to them from you that money can not buy and gives both the giver and the receiver such happiness.

    ReplyDelete